Why Are Mycotoxins Dangerous? 7 Reasons to Get Tested

Mycotoxins can wreak havoc on the body in many ways, but you may not even realize you’ve been exposed. At The Metabolic Institute in Spokane, WA, we specialize in testing and treating exposure to harmful mold.

What Are Mycotoxins?

Mycotoxins are naturally occurring poisons found in some types of mold or fungus. These toxic molds are dangerous to humans and animals, including pets and livestock. Mold thrives in areas that are humid, damp, or wet, and it can grow indoors and outdoors.

Can You Test for Mold Exposure?

Yes, at The Metabolic Institute, we provide specialized mold tests for our Spokane area patients. Tests for mold include:

  • Blood work
  • Sinus analysis
  • Sputum or tissue analysis
  • Urine testing


7 Reasons to Get Tested for Mycotoxins

Testing for mold poisoning is an important step for caring for your overall health and wellbeing. Below we look at the top seven reasons to get tested.

1. An Ounce of Prevention

Mold spores are airborne, and you don’t have to touch visible mold for it to enter your body. When you’ve come into contact with mold, or suspect you might have, getting tested is the best action you can take to preserve your health.

As the adage goes, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” and this is especially true with mold. The toxins can spread throughout the body via the bloodstream to create a variety of severe health concerns like rheumatic disorders and hyperthyroidism when left untreated.

2. Better Breathing

Allergies, asthma, and sinusitis are some classic symptoms of mold exposure. Because mold exists indoors and outdoors, it might be difficult to discern if you are reacting to mold or some other allergen. The only way to rule out the mold as the cause of allergies or sinusitis is to get tested.

3. Brain Health

Toxic mold can affect how well your brain works. When mold enters the nervous system, it can damage vital neurons. The result of this damage may be headaches, memory issues, difficulty concentrating, confusion, or mood changes. Often these troublesome symptoms are explained away as the “natural” process of aging or situational changes. Know that these changes are treatable if testing confirms the presence of mold in the body.

4. Pain Relief

Unexplained pain in the body can result from exposure to harmful mold. When mold is present in the body, lymph nodes may feel tender; joints may feel more stiff and sensitive, muscles may cramp or twitch, and stabbing headaches may disrupt your life. Many of these pains are associated with other causes, but if mold is the cause, only testing and treatment can help.

5. More Pep in Your Step

Myalgic encephalitis or chronic fatigue syndrome is one symptom of poisonous mold in the body. Long-term fatigue is one of the most debilitating conditions because even sleep doesn’t help the body generate energy. If you suffer from chronic fatigue, a mold test could help you.

6. Fewer Sick Days

If you feel under the weather frequently, exposure to mold could be to blame. Once mycotoxins enter the bloodstream, they can suppress the immune system. A suppressed immune system sets off a chain reaction that opens the door to further illnesses.

7. You May Not Have Symptoms

What makes mold poisoning most dangerous is that you may not know you’ve been exposed. Even if you do not have symptoms, the mold could be negatively impacting the body.

Schedule a Consultation

Mycotoxins present a variety of health risks that can only be sufficiently treated after specialized testing. Our expert staff is highly experienced in treating mold poisoning. Contact us today at The Metabolic Institute in Spokane, WA, to schedule a consultation.